Last week, I was chatting about radical unschooling. This week, I'm interviewing Sophie (16) who is a radical unschooler. If you're unsure about this way of life, perhaps our conversation will reassure you that radical unschoolers aren't wild and irresponsible!
This is a very lively interview. I hope you enjoy it!
In this episode, Sophie and I are chatting about:
- her unschooling week
- her part-time job
- her passions and interests and where she hopes they will lead
- the importance of parent-child friendships
- how unschoolers are different
- siblings and how to avoid rivalry and encourage strong bonds between brothers and sisters
- how we can protect our kids without making rules
- how she has developed a strong sense of right and wrong
- mutual trust
- how unschooled kids can be themselves both in front of their friends and when they are with their family
- Sophie's health and exercise challenge
- our joint podcasting idea
- and lots of other things!
Sophie's previous podcast episode
Episode 70: Trust, Respect and Love Unconditionally
Twombly by Podington Bear, (CC BY-NC 3.0)
Where you can find us
You'll find lots of unschooling posts in my archive on my blog Stories of an Unschooling Family.
You can find me on Instagram at sue_elvis.
Please take a look at Imogen's latest music video, Symphony which is on her Youtube channel, Imogen Elvis.
You can also find Imogen on her Facebook page, Imogen Elvis. She livestreams with the Team on Thursday mornings, Australian time.
And please watch out for a new music video on Wednesday 18th October.
You can find Sophie on Instagram at Sophie Elvis and The Technomaid.
Thank you for listening to this episode. If you enjoy my podcast, please consider writing an iTunes review and sharing the link so we can spread the word about unschooling! (Thank you, Samantha, for your recent review. Your very kind words were greatly appreciated!)
Would you like to continue the conversation?
Do you have unschooling teenagers? Are they different from most other young people? Do you make rules? And what about exercise? You could join us and accept Sophie's health and exercise challenge! I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences. You could stop by my blog and say hello!